« Home | Just one more... » | Get in the wheelbarrow! » | The well is dry » | Moving along » | One lucky guy » | POISON » | Bigger or better » | Untouched » | The gospel...no longer foolishness! » | Why a theatre? » 

Thursday, November 01, 2007 

De-progamming old habits

Last week I went out for lunch with someone had absolutely no church background whatsoever. They just recently started coming to our church and as I talked with them, I had a very frustrating reality hit me: I have no idea how to talk in a way that doesn't confuse people when it comes to matters of God.

They absolutely love TXC and can't believe how we are turning the stereotypical view of church and Christians on it's head. They also told me that they weren't a Christian and have never really had any need for religion.

As we talked, they asked some questions about how and why we started the church and that's where my words started to lock up. What really got me was that I knew this person had absolutely no frame of reference when it came to God. They said they might remember going to church once when they were almost too little to remember. My first thought as a response is "God told me to do it". But what I've been trying to do is approach the conversation from the other person's perspective. Imagine barely remembering going to church as a kid, having no real need for God and hearing someone say "God told me to do it. He changed my heart. The Holy Spirit spoke to me." Whaaa?! It's just weird.

Now I know those are the "right" answers, but I think that I've/we've been too quick to just assume people know what we're talking about. We throw words and phrases around like they're candy and assume that everyone is on the same page. Maybe one day, those kinds of descriptions will make sense to them but right now - when the horse isn't even out of the gate yet - it's just ridiculous to expect them to understand. I've been so ingrained with a set way of thinking that it is hard to deprogram myself.

I think this is why so many Christians stick within their Christian bubbles - because they are scared spitless. Primarily of looking stupid. Cause when it comes time to talk, alot of times the most natural thing to come out is the most unnatural language for someone who doesn't claim to follow Jesus to understand.

But that doesn't excuse me from establishing friendships with those who are far from God and like it that way. My ultimate purpose as a follower of Jesus is to reconnect people to Him. And if that means that I look like a bumbling fool as I attempt to speak in a way that makes sense, then that's what I've got to do.

If I'm not willing to do that, why do I call myself a follower of Jesus? Afterall, aren't the people that Jesus went to and made the most sense to the people that knew the least about God?

Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.