« Home | Nothing to say » | Dan's Rants » | The tramergional church » | I'm sitting in one of my offices (City Blends...th... » | A bit of a surge » | Gathering #3 » | We've got so much gas... » | Dream Huge! » | Control Freaks Not-So-Anonymous » | Getting connected » 

Monday, November 13, 2006 

The war has begun

Being a lead pastor has been relatively easy up until this point. We have a gathering once a month. I preach once a month. I have coffee or a meal with people I've met at the most recent gathering. No problems worth complaining about. Everyone seems to be super happy with what's going on...and then we get the call a few minutes ago.

I can't go into all the details but my disillusionment has just been removed. I've encountered a situation in which I am completely helpless. All I can do is listen, encourage and pray. I can't take away the addiction. I can't make the marriage work. I can't make anyone do anything.

The sick and twisted ways of the devil are just that...sick and twisted. The anger I feel towards him is furious...the war that I am in has just been brought to the forefront of everything I do. If what we do as a faith community isn't leading to people being set free, then we may be doing something wrong.

In times like this, prayer is the only weapon I have. I've been exploring spiritual warfare lately and seeing where I stand. I grew up with the belief that it was all around...almost like the "demon under every chair" theology. Then I started to doubt that was the case. But when you are faced with this kind of spiritual warfare, you can see that it is very real and the Devil is going to do whatever he can to destroy the church...low blows and all.


This whole church planting adventure has felt almost like a fairy tale up until now. But this is what I was made for...I am not wired to have a nice little church that caters to the people that sit in the seats to make them feel good. We have a stinkin' massive mission to fulfill and we don't have time for games. People's lives are being ripped to shreds and I can't stand by and watch idly as it continues to happen. When Jesus said that he would build his church and the gates of hell would not stand against it, I gotta believe that what he said is true. I gotta believe that Jesus is building TXC and that we will see the gates of hell blown wide open as Jesus unleashes his power in our city, through us.

This is just the beginning of the war that we are about to see unleashed. As I type this it's almost as if my insides are screaming that it's time to get ready. Start swinging your swords. This isn't a game. Following Jesus is not about you, it's about everyone else around you that isn't following him. There are people screaming out for freedom. They are screaming out for the war inside of them to be silent. They are screaming for Jesus.

Will we take Him to them?

dear danno, its always good to refer to professionals in areas that you are not gifted. pastors are only to be points of contact sometimes. if you are feeling overwhelmed just refer and keep in touch by follow up. offer prayers with people. sometimes just listening is what they need. but who said the pastor has to be and do everything. seen this in the last church i was at where the pastor was burned out and remained burnt out because he thought he was a "hero" or was supposed to be one as it defined his identity as a "pastor". of course you've run into this before in your ministry but that is what the board/elders and other leaders in your faith community are there for. remember you need to be working yourself out of a job so to speak. refer refer refer. don't think you are not doing your job if you don't. maybe you have a heart for people but you suck at counselling or are better as a motivator. you know you gift. stay within that to alleviate the feelings of being overwhelmed. your leadership team should be there to pick up the slack or at least find some good help in the community to which you serve. its also a good witness for them to see that a pastor can do that by refering. just makes for more community development.

Hey guys...thanks for the encouragement. I fully intend on referring people to the "pros". I'm definitely not a counselor, nor do I want to be. I know what I'm strong at and I intend on staying in that spot.

This situation isn't really a counseling thing though. It's more a stand by and watch thing...which really sucks. Until I'm invited into the situation I can't really do anything but be there for them and pray my guts out.

It was more just the reality of spiritual warfare hitting home. I'm meeting more and more people who are disillusioned with church and Jesus (at least the Jesus they were taught was the real Jesus).

We've definitely got our work cut out for us as we do what we can to change the way people think about church. (Mainly that it's not about attending on Sundays but a life of adventure following Jesus wherever he leads us). But I'm so up for it. I'd pick this any day over boring, ritualistic religion that leads to spiritual death.

I'm in!

cool...I like that.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.