« Home | Breaking the mold » | Back up » | My hands are tied » | My best 3 decisions so far » | Why Church? » | The war has begun » | Nothing to say » | Dan's Rants » | The tramergional church » | I'm sitting in one of my offices (City Blends...th... » 

Thursday, November 23, 2006 

Moving

We are super excited to be moving into our new basement suite. It's everything that we could've asked for. The crappy part is packing everything up. It's so hard to get motivated and then once you get motivated you have to figure out where to begin. We don't move until next Friday but we want to make sure that everything is packed so we can get out and then in all within a small time frame.

So...if you don't see or hear anything on here for a while, you know why. After Friday if you don't hear anything, it's because one of us dropped the computer while moving it!

Next Sunday is our 4th and final monthly gathering. This has been an awesome 4 months. However, the anticipation is killing everyone. Someone asked me if I had to do this all over again if I would do anything different and I think I would. I would go with just two monthly gatherings and launch weekly on the third one. Our challenge was that we were being pushed to start in September and we felt we were ready by then. But we didn't want to start weekly in November, only to have Christmas roll around and kill our momentum. So we decided to stick with the four monthly gatherings.

Our goal was to create anticipation and generate some momentum which we have done really effectively. What we didn't anticipate was the fact that there are so many people looking for a church and to have to wait for so long before it gets going every week sucks. Alot of these people don't go to other churches, aren't Christians or have been disillusioned with the church in the past. They've come to TXC and found a place where they fit and now we make them suffer. The hard part for me is knowing the some people that have committed really need the network of people around them but we aren't in a place to get that happening yet.

Initially I was going to be in Mission in September and we were going to start weekly midweek gatherings of some sort at my house but because that fell through we've had to stay in Abby for an extra four months. That could have been the best thing to happen to us...or the worst. We'll find out once Jan.14 rolls around. Even though there is a possibility that some people might bail, there are a lot of people that are talking about it and getting as amped up about it as we are.

I think our biggest challenge is going to be getting people connected in as participants and not just spectators coming to a church they love. We need people to be the church. this means embodying the mission of who we are supposed to be. It means connecting in to make the few elements that we do have the best they can be. If we don't do this we'll have a few people doing a whole lot of stuff and that isn't my style at all.

Once this move is over and our next gathering is finished it's a long haul until we launch (6 weeks) but I think it's going to be even more incredible than we could have imagined. God has put us where we are at just the right time. We are going to work our butts off and do the best we can but I know that ultimately it's God that draws people to Himself and changes them. We can't change people. We're seeing it happen already and that's what I live for....changed lives.

Preach it brother!!
I'm busy next Friday by the way.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.