« Home | The sweet spot » | Sunday Re:Wind<<< » | Choosing to lose? » | Taking a Sabbatical... » | Sunday Re:Wind<<< » | Sunday Re:Wind<<< » | Road block » | mind dump » | Change of plans » | Sunday Re:Wind<< » 

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 

Worship hack

I haven't led worship in 8 months! At our sending church, one of my roles before I left was co-leader of the worship department. But when I got the dream to start a fresh new church, the first person that came to my mind to ask to lead our worship was Dave. He was with me for 5 years leading the worship for youth every week. In fact, I think he may have only missed one wednesday night in that whole 5 years. He came a long way from when he started. Initially, I was the worship guy for youth as I was a volunteer working with the current youth pastor. As a volunteer I recruited Dave to come onto the team. Thinking that what a good leader does is replace himself, I replaced myself with Dave and he became the worship guy. I worked out perfect because when the youth pastor resigned, I took over. In hindsight, it was a very naive but good move.

5 years later, we're planting a church together. The thing I love about Dave is that he is so stinkin' talented but when he's on stage he's not all showy. He just leads and he does it well. His guitar playing hasn't even been showcased at TXC like it could be. He's insane but knows how to bring it out when it's the right time. He can make any song sound good.

The problem is...he's in Mexico! And he's scheduled to fly back into vancouver at 3am this Sunday morning. He's assured me that he is still gonna lead on Sunday. I want to believe him...I really do! If it's in his power, I do believe that he'll be there. But what if something happens that is unforseen. Like he gets picked up on drug trafficking charges, or his plane is delayed or that ring worm that he picked up from the taco he ate on monday decides to wreak havoc on his body? So, in the case of one of these things coming up, I'm getting prepared. And am I ever rusty!

Until last Wed., it had been 8 months since I had even picked up my guitar! I originally thought that I was going to be some worship pastor somewhere, someday, but since planting TXC, I have had no desire to even touch my guitar. Leading the church and preaching is where I feel like I'm supposed to be. I love it! But this week...this week could be my reintroduction into the worship scene. Compared to Dave, I'm a toddler on the guitar. I can barely remember where my fingers go for each chord! I can't sing nearly any of the songs he does!

So it's guaranteed to be all acoustic driven with no technical prowess and all "Olllllld Schoooooooool" (insert sound effect here). Yes I know...some of you are cheering like crazy right now cause you love old school...but unfortunately, that's not who we are! You can get old school anywhere you want in the fraser valley!

Anyways, pray like you've never prayed before! We need Dave back this Sunday, healthy and without too much of a sun burn (because we are all so cool and we wouldn't want him to wreck our look :D) Absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder. I've realized that so much of what Dave does gives me a headache and having to do it during is absence is driving me nuts! Now if he can just get past those drug sniffing dogs...we're all set!:D)

You´re a freak. See you Monday.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.