« Home | Religious dress code » | A caffeinated gospel » | God will answer...someday » | Caught in the crosscurrent...together » | It's not our mission » | A few interesting leadership insights » | How to catch a shark » | My Early Muir Owl » | Will it be worth it? » | Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated? » 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 

Getting some action

"Don’t ever settle for getting someone’s attention. Channel attention into action if you want to change the world." ~ katya

It's so easy to fall into the trap of just getting people's attention. I love our church. I really do. I love the community. I love the creativity. I love the freedom. I love the location. I love the music. I love the lead team I get to work with. I love it all! If we are going to gather together, I believe that to bore people to death with the most exciting message ever is just ridiculous. People can slam the churches that "entertain" all they want but if boredom and being lame is the other choice...I choose the captivating and engaging route everytime.

I was just talking with someone yesterday and they were telling me that they have never felt as confident as they do now in inviting their friends to church. Before they used to be embarassed but now they know their friends will like it. That is always one of our goals - to give people the confidence to invite their friends by making sure what we do at our gatherings doesn't suck.


But if all we are doing is getting people's attention, we aren't doing our job. If people are just saying "Wow...that was fun!" then we are missing the mark. The whole point is reconnecting people to Jesus and I know that doesn't always happen in a moment and so our goal each week is for all of us to take one more step in the direction of Jesus. One of the ways we gauge whether this is happening or not is through the stories we hear. If we're not hearing stories, there is no action taking place. But when you hear story after story of the changes happening in people's lives, it makes you want to get their attention and call them to action even more.

Did I mention I love TXC?

Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.