« Home | The ebb and flow of church planting » | Wading into the CrossCurrent: Part 2 » | The death of me » | Canada has heart » | Sad but exciting » | I love our new city » | Wading into the CrossCurrent: Part 1 » | Much better » | Unbearable » | The battleground » 

Friday, June 23, 2006 

Web construction

Just so everyone knows, our website is under heavy construction right now, even though it's online for the whole world to see. We changed our whole look even though we just got our other site up a few months ago. We felt that it wasn't versatile enough for what we wanted to do in the future so we switched.

One thing the website used to say was that we are launching weekly gathering on Sept.24. That's how it was gonna shake down, but we've decided a different road - one that we are really excited about. Instead of weekly gathering in September, we are going to have monthly gathering on Sept.17, Oct.15, Nov.5 and Dec.3. They will all still be in SilverCity Mission and will all start @ 10am. (9:30 for Starbucks and donuts)

These gatherings will be exactly what we will be doing when we launch weekly on Jan.7. However, we chose this route because we felt that we needed to build a bigger base for our church before we launched fully public. These gatherings will give us the time needed to do that. As well, we will be able to figure out what we are good at and what we need to get better at. Setting up and tearing down each week is going to be an adventure all to it's own.

The way we intend to expand our launch team into a mini church is still a converstation we are having. There are a few possiblities. The one that I've been thinking of lately is that in September we would open up the launch team to anyone who wanted to be a part of the church. This will be a hard transition as the launch team will have been meeting for 5 months prior to this planning the future of the church exclusively. But I guess this has to happen some time. At this point, we would move to our elder/pastor model where myself and our worship and children's pastors would begin to meet on a weekly basis for leadership meetings.

So in place of our launch team meetings we would gather as an open faith community where anyone who has come to our preview gatherings can connect in. We will also have a BBQ/community fair in a local school that is in a neighborhood that we will be targeting. We have a team from our local Bible college that will be helping us and serve as a type of outreach team for the first four months. this is going to be a huge thing as they will be able to do much more than I would be able to on my own.

Meeting small could be a challenge for us when we go public in January as everyone will be used to a more intimate vibe than will be projected in the theater. I think my job is going to have to remind people that this gathering is not about us but it is ultimately about the searching. As long as that is at the forefront and we are heavily involved and integrated in the community, my hope is that we won't run into that problem. I guess the monthly gatherings at SilverCity will serve as a reminder of what's coming up as well.

Anyways, I unloaded my brain here so I hope it makes sense. If you have some stellar ideas, leave a comment. I don't claim to have all the answers, if any at all. If you check the website out, take it with a grain of salt. If you can wait, please do until mid next week. By then we should be on the ball.

Have yourselves a great weekend! I'm gonna be up at Whistler with some of my youth staff for the very last time. So I'll pray for you as I lay beside the pool...relaxing.

Dream Huge!

Hey - I'm going to be in the Whistler hizzle this weekend too....If I see you don't be alarmed if you are pranked!! Yeah!

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.