« Home | Still alive » | Holy Cow » | New link to blog » | Change happens » | In love » | faith » | Shoot me now! » | Sneek Peek #1 » | Missiology » | T-Minus 19 » 

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 

An amazing first sneak preview!

Wow...it's even hard to put words to it. I'm so stinkin' proud of our launch team! I couldn't even think of taking credit for the success of this. Every single one of them poured their heart into this and it showed.

The music was absolutely insane! It's been a very long time since I've sen musicianship like that. The guys practiced like mad banchees and it was evident. The quality was incredible and their hearts were fully into it. I have had incessant comments on how incedible they were. I had tons of people comment on how awesome the videos behind the lyrics were too (All Dave). Wow...I'm amazed.

The vibe in the theatre was amazing. I had so many people tell me that they have been looking for this for a very long time. They felt they could be themselves and just let their guard down and relax.

I felt good because it was my first shot at employing a new method of teaching where I memorize everything I'm going to say via mindmapping. It was absolutely incredible for me. Not a page of notes and I delivered everything I needed to say and more in under a half hour.

The connections team was superb! Charlene did an amazing job at choosing the right people. They were friendly, informed and actually talked with the guests! What a novel concept! People enjoyed the complimentary starbucks and i think it just added to our vibe.

I wasn't with the kids but I heard (from all the kids yapping about it afterwards) that she rocked the show with them. I honestly could not think of a better person to work with the kids. She is so high energy and has such a deep passion to see kids experience the love of Jesus at a young age that it's contagious. I'm stoked to see what happens with "Upstream" in the very near future.

Our graphics were all made by Donavan and they just flat out rock! They communicate exactly who we are and are high quality.

Okay! So there you have it. If you weren't our last one you should check out the next sneak preview on Oct.15 @ 10am in Theatre #1. Bring some friends that don't have a church with you as well!

Awesome! Very stoked for you kids...

Congrats, I found your blog via planterplanet. I'm just starting to plant in Austin TX.

Anyhoo, could you expand on the mind-mapping/sermon concept?

Thanks

Mind mapping freakin rocks! I was skeptical at first, now I'm sold. It's just brainstorming. First, you need to read "Communicating for a change" by Andy Stanley. Then (if you can afford it) go to www.mindjet.com and buy their mindmapping software. Download the trial first.

It's quite simple. In combination with the principles in the book, you:

1. put your single point in the middle.
2. Put the surrounding points around the outside of that single point you are going to communicate. (This will make more sense once you read the book)
3. Begin to memorize!

I'm not saying memorizing is easy, but this is definitely the easiest I've ever done it. This software allows you to branch off of your subpoints as far as you want. I just write out my sermon (usually trying to use one word to trigger the rest) and then I study like a mad banchee.

After I think I have got a majority of it committed to memory, the program lets you close down the branches you have created, all the while letting you see your key words that trigger the rest of your info into your brain.

I just studied those trigger words, made sure I had them totally memorized so I knew where I was going and then left my notes at home while I nervously stepped in front of the people and unloaded the whole thing word for word.

The interesting thing was that it came out so natural. I could be myself and I knew exactly where I was going. Hope that helps. If not, just ask

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.