« Home | Adventures in church planting » | It's a go! » | Just the beginning » | The out of control control freak » | Last sneak preview » | Caught in a blizzard » | B.C. drivers and snow...bad combo » | Just jump » | Moving » | Breaking the mold » 

Thursday, December 14, 2006 

I'm gonna freak out!

I'm telling you...there is nothing worse than what I'm experiencing right now. Any one who is as much of an internerd as I am will feel my pain. It's almost as painful as that feeling you get shooting down your spine when you hear fingernails slowly but steadily screeching from top to bottom.

It's called a freaking 56k modem! Yes...dial-up. We just recently moved into the back of Mission, past the two prisons (yes...I said two and they are side by side). We are so far back and so high up that we can't get cable or adsl. You thought the good 'ol snail mail was slow...dial-up is almost as sluggishly slow. Tonight is a "rip-your-hair-out-of-your-scalp" night.

Tony Morgan made a crack on his blog about "remembering dial-up". Oh I remember it alright! I wanted to cry when I read it. That nasty sound of who knows what crackly and howling away in the speakers is a reminder to me ever time I dial up (and get disconnected and dial up........and get disconnected and dial up)

Every time we want to use the phone...it's disconnect and wait until the conversation is over. It wouldn't be that bad if it didn't take 5 minutes to dial up!

If your really annoyed with this post and are tired of hearing me complain...good. Now you've just felt some of my pain.



On a more serious note...It really is no wonder why it's so hard for a lot of us to get motivated to actually sit down and pray and read our Bibles. It's not instant. It takes work. It takes us actually slowing down and listening. As soon as it gets rushed it becomes a waste of time because it's being done out of duty and not a desire to grow. Even 5 minutes would be better than nothing but we are so programmed to want to multitask. My buddy Dave just got a new computer and he texted me while his computer was doing 4 or 5 things at the same time with no problem at all. I'm dreaming of that...seriously. I try to do that. I listen to a sermon podcast while reading a book or surfing the net. When I'm in workout mode (emphasis on "when") I try to listen to a sermon every time I work out...all because I get two things done at once. Everything is high speed, fast speed, warp speed.

Maybe we are missing what life is all about by being so psychotically revved up all the time. Maybe if the rpm's could actually come down a few thousand we could hear The Voice that gets drowned out by the roar of the engine. Maybe the life that God intended for us to live was one where rest was a primary thing and not a thing we do when our head hits the pillow from exhaustion at the end of the day. Maybe a part of following Jesus is taking the risk to do less in order to see who he really is. Not taking so much on in an attempt to accomplish more for the kingdom.

Maybe we all need dial-up.

If you are willing to pay for it, you can get DSL on a PCMCIA card from most wirless phone providers. Cost is now down to around $60 a month. It would be better than having to pay for a wig after you pull all your hair out.

Some great reasons to get the new Portable Internet from Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet:

"1. I can't get high-speed service at the moment...
If you don't have another way of getting high-speed Internet and would like to move beyond your dial-up service, Portable Internet is the solution for you. Even if you're on a boat, you can now get high speed Internet as long as you're in a coverage area and have access to an electrical outlet."

check this out:
http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cable/InternetContent/portable_moreinfo.asp
this is what im looking at getting

Dude...I can't even get that! I live in the back country of Mission! Only abbotsford gets access. It's hopeless

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.