« Home | Last sneak preview » | Caught in a blizzard » | B.C. drivers and snow...bad combo » | Just jump » | Moving » | Breaking the mold » | Back up » | My hands are tied » | My best 3 decisions so far » | Why Church? » 

Monday, December 04, 2006 

The out of control control freak

It's true...having people watching a movie in OUR church yesterday at the same time as "church" was going on was a little chaotic and out of control. It was frustrating at times to see a huge lineup only to know that they were going to the movie. All the video games were running...there was a lineup for the concession...it was just crazy.

And then it kicked in...we were talking about the fear of losing control and here I was trying to control this chaos. When I stopped to think about it the realization that this is what we are all about hit me and I started to embrace being out of control. How many of these people would have ever stepped into our "church" if we hadn't been meeting in a movie theatre?

Here's a question: At what point in your life is control ever achieved? Is it possible?

When I was prepping for this talk I had a God moment I think...either that or I just taught something that really isn't in the Bible. The passage is in Matt.14:22-32 where Jesus is walking on the water and calls Peter out.

Go read it.

Did you see it?

When Peter starts freaking out because he's not in control and he starts to sink...what does Jesus do?

If you said that he grabs Peter's hand you may need to re-read that part again.

He watches. Yep. Peter starts to sink and Jesus watches. How long do you think he would have watched for?

So when does Jesus grab Peter's hand? When Peter asks for help. I wonder how many of us or stuck in the middle of a storm and Jesus is standing right beside us but because we are too stubborn and prideful and want to stay in control of our lives he just sits and watches us drown. Does Jesus just step in sometimes...probably. I think the prayers of other people prayed for you move the hand of God. Does this happen all the time? I have no idea and I don't want to find out. Because if Jesus is just watching until I ask for help...I think I'm gonna ask because there is only one other option..drown. I've come to realize that I'm just not that good. I'm not God. I can't save myself from very much at all. I like to think I can. I like the world to think I'm some big macho man but in reality I'm just a little weakling with not very many answers, more questions and a full on need for God to be my God. I can't be God. I don't know how to be God.

I'm gonna ask.

i couldn't control myself... hey that looked an awful lot like the remote at our house!?

Hey I preached my first sermon on sunday. It was the Jaret Kirkland show, because len was away. You can check it out at www.gatewaycitychurch.ca it is the latest sermon in the sermon heading. Later dude.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.