« Home | Is it possible to fill a niche that is already fil... » | The power of generosity » | We got rid of our gas! » | I'm gonna freak out! » | Adventures in church planting » | It's a go! » | Just the beginning » | The out of control control freak » | Last sneak preview » | Caught in a blizzard » 

Monday, December 25, 2006 

What goes around...

I posted a few days ago about the power of generosity and yesterday it came my way. Our old landlord came by and dropped off a present at our new basement suite. We lived there for 3.5 years and I think we rubbed off on them a bit and they started to like us. After he left we checked out what he gave us and it turned out to be $100 to Save-On-Foods and $40 to a nice greek restaurant in Mission. I couldn't believe it! Not just because our 'old' landlord gave us a huge Christmas present (they gave us huge presents every years but we didn't expect it this year) but for the fact that last week I was in Superstore and felt God tell me to buy 5 $10 gift cards to give away. And in all honesty, we really didn't have the money to buy them. I just felt like I should really be obedient. It's not that I try to listen to God's voice and act on it so I can get back in return but I really believe that God works that way. In 2 Corinthians 9 Paul says that when we are generous God will be generous back to us so that we can continue being generous...and this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to generousity references in the Bible.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with buying 'stuff' for ourselves to enjoy but when that stuff comes at the cost of those who really need it, I think there may be something going on that should be. It's so easy for us to be stingy. It's so easy for us to think about ourselves before we think of others and even God.

I told Bek earlier this week that this was one of the first times that I've honestly considered skipping tithing because we may not have enough money to pay the bills (the most commonly used excuse for not tithing). The conversation was really short and we both agreed (after Bek promptly saying "no way!" - that's what I love about her...her faith is huge. I married the sexiest, most godly woman I know! ...just a shameless plug:) that we would not rob God. I know...some of the people reading this don't get tithing...that's okay. You won't understand until you do it and see the rewards (not money rewards...but the knowledge that you have now invited God into the world of your finances.)

I find it odd how I could even second guess God's ability to provide for me. My understanding is that by not tithing I'm saying to God that I want to play god in my life and that I can handle this on my own and I don't need Him to be involved in my life. Tithing tells God that I am reliant on Him. And for a small second I thought that I could play a pretty good god in my own life...glad that got shelved as quick as it did because we all know that I suck at being god.

All this talk about tithing is because I also believe that being generous with God is one of the reasons why we are seeing this money come out of no where (there are lots of other ways that God is providing finances for us as well that I've failed to mention in this post).

I believe when we will really start taking being generous seriously and it not just being something we "do" but something we "are", ridiculously huge things will start happening in our lives and in the lives of those around us.

Man I love to hear about how God is showing you new things in life and about yourself. I know that He also is so in love with seeing you walk through and live your life. To experiance life the way He meant for you to live it. Wow... WOW! Our hearts are with you and your family. My heart skips to hear about our God in your life. Take care brother and merry Christmas.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.