« Home | Easy friends » | Unfocused Randomness » | messy spirituality...is it allowed? » | Worship hack » | The sweet spot » | Sunday Re:Wind<<< » | Choosing to lose? » | Taking a Sabbatical... » | Sunday Re:Wind<<< » | Sunday Re:Wind<<< » 

Sunday, April 22, 2007 

Sunday Re:Wind<<<

I gotta say...I'm impressed. I know Dave likes recognition (everyone does no matter what they say) but he's probably getting sick of me brag about him on my blog (maybe not). But today was one of those days where someone's character shines in a way that sets them apart from other people.

He hadn't slept since 8am yesterday and his flight got into Vancouver @ 3am this morning with him getting home at 5am. A short little cat nap and he and Charlene were up and at 'em. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have shown up this morning. Dave kept saying "No, I'll be there" and I was like "We'll see". I knew he was loyal but I had this little inkling that when he got back and realized how tired he was he'd be calling me up (On the phone he lost on the trip...nice) telling me that he just couldn't make it. I know I would. But whether he just had to prove me wrong or whether he just really has some good character going on...he showed up. And he was good! The whole band was good which was awesome cause they just did a quick run through this morning and that was it. It was good seeing Donavan on bass again...just like "the old days"

Donovan Price made his debut as he kicked off our series "The upside down way of God" and he did a great job. I felt like I should be doing something. I rambled on and on during my welcome...I think I've got some "listen to me everyone issues":) I'll be back on the saddle next week...hopefully I have something to say! (ya...don't think that will be an issue)

Yup, it was awesome that Dave was there and he did a fantastic job, as always. But, it was also amazing that Charlene was there. As much as Dave does great work, Charlene does too - behind the scenes. She (and others, especially your Mum) are always there to greet people and make us feel at home and welcome.

I feel this is such a vital job in a church, maybe the most important. No matter how great things look on stage, building relationships seems to me, to be a priority. Relationships are what keeps us coming back.

I know you feel the same way Dan, and you are grateful for the "behind the scenes" people. I just wanted to point it out and ensure they get the credit they so richly deserve.
Jil

I totally agree. I only highlighted Dave because his absence would have directly impacted me on Sunday as I would have had to lead and we wouldn't have wanted that to happen:)

That is one thing I love about our church and it's one thing that I hope we can maintain is the friendly atmosphere. The only way it happens is for people to take in on themselves that it's their job to befriend others in church. I can only hope that more people choose to be more concerned about our guests and making them feel as welcome as we feel.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.