« Home | rockstar no more » | The irony... » | Don't sell me what it's not » | Are we up for the challenge? » | The future looks bright! » | Mother's Day » | Out of the Christian ghetto » | Wake up call » | Competing with the movies » | Checking In » 

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 

My hidden "agenda"

The word agenda is such an evil word in church. It makes the hair on our necks stand on end. I've heard many say that you should just love those who don't follow Jesus. Be friends with them without any hidden agenda. Is that possible for a Christ follower to do?

Now let me point out that agenda may not be the best word for what I'm trying to describe. I just can't think of an appropriate substitute at the moment.

When we become followers of Jesus we share his mission of reconnecting people to God. We have that mission whether we like it or not. If we don't want it, we shouldn't be following Jesus. So when we become friends with someone who isn't a follower of Jesus, should we want them to know Jesus? If we don't, why is that?

I am in no way condoning anyone saying to someone "I'll only be your friend if you follow Jesus". That's just ridiculous. What I AM saying is that in that friendship I believe that there should be a genuine desire for me to want my friend to know Jesus. It doesn't mean I have to preach at them and tell them they're going to hell or even invite them to church. It means that I need to keep in mind that they are watching me to see if there is anything different about me. I say I believe something...now do I live it?

I'm not sure if that's an agenda or not. I just don't think that it should be possible for someone who is genuinely following Jesus to have a friendship with someone and never have the thought cross their mind that they would like their friend to follow Jesus too.

Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.