« Home | I still remember » | A glimpse of the future » | R & R » | I'm back! » | Gone camping » | Don't forget to run! » | ...just words » | My thoughts exactly » | The Bibles comes to life! » | Seeing double » 

Monday, July 23, 2007 

A few screws loose

I think in order to be a church planter, you've gotta be a little nuts. You gotta have a few screws loose to think that, with God's and a ton of other people's help, you can help in starting a church that lasts. I was talking with my old senior pastor (from our sending church) the other day and he said he brags about his old youth pastor that was as dumb as a sack of nails to think that he could plant a church in Mission...but he's doing it. I laughed and had to agree. I was off my rocker! I wasn't thinking straight...and I'm still not. I still believe beyond anything that God is going to do something HUGE through our little church that meets in a movie theatre. In fact, I know he's already doing it. Yesterday was verification of that fact.

I met a guy for the first time that was there for the second time...we'll call him "Joe". He had come two weeks ago with his wife who had been once before. The freaky thing about two weeks ago was that it was our first week without a full band and it was just a more mellow week. Not too much hype to "impress" anyone. So I was a little nervous to hear his story. I was expecting to hear that he had seen and heard better and that he wouldn't be back. What I was about to hear was exactly what I needed.

He proceeded to inform me that he lived in vancouver (He sleeps over with his wife at his inlaws house on Saturdays now so he can come out to TXC) and that he was extremely hesitant to come to a church, especially one that was small like ours. But his wife had come and told him that he needed to at least check it out. So he came. No band. No flair. The word he used was one that I have repeatedly heard over and over when our church is referenced.

"Refreshing." I hear that word when someone is in extreme heat and jumps into a cold lake. Hardly do I hear it used in conversation. But that's the word he used. For some reason that word is so encouraging to me. Someone that hasn't been to church in a few years decides to take a chance on church again...maybe even God. We're nervous because we've really got nothing to offer anyone as far as "cool" is concerned. We're just normal, everyday people that are in pursuit of Jesus.

In the end, that's what he said was the thing that appealed to him...the honesty and authenticity of those leading. The fact that we're open with the reality of being in process as well...works in progress.

He also had words of encouragement as well. He challenged me to never lose sight of what makes us who we are right now. That as we grow (he made sure I knew that it was going to) we don't get caught in the whirlwind of it all and become someone we're not. To be honest, I've found myself moving away from that at times already. I've allowed my religious Pharisaical side to emerge and I've treated other people as lower than myself. And I've had to learn and keep moving forward. I'm in need of God's mercy and grace just as much as the next person.

To the second time guest...Joe...thank you! Thank you for the reminder. Thank you for the encouragement. Thank you for the renewed passion to continue to be who we are as a church. We exist for Joe and we're seeing God do some incredible things through the little that we have. I'm amazed and humbled to know that I get to be a part of this thing we call The CrossCurrent!

This is great info to know.

Post a Comment
Where life is meant to be lived TXC online
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from my_txc. Make your own badge here.